Friday, February 18, 2011

Full moon ride with Pink Floyd and Freezing Conditions (with Droid track)

So I got my bike tuned up today just in time for a ride under the Full moon. By the time it was out of the shop, it was already dark and I had a few miles to ride to get home... and I hadn't anticipated riding in the dark, so I had no light. Fortunately the ride requires little sharing of pavement with motorized vehicles and the full moon provides more than adequate illumination.


I got home with little incident on a relatively smooth riding bike (though it does need a bit more work and I have to go easy on torque and prepare for loss of power train functionality. so far it has presented little more than annoyance.)


Next I had to take Molly for a walk because she saw that I was preparing for a serious ride and looked so sad at the prospect of being stuck indoors. So we had a nice walk which provided a relaxing leg stretch as intermission between cycling forays.


So after midnight I departed on a journey of undetermined duration and distance (my favorite kind). I ended up riding over 30 miles... probably closer to 35 in freezing conditions, but with clear pavement (♥ winter weather in the coastal Pacific Northwest) and nearly adequate insulation (I have stiff clipless shoes with zero insulation).


I recorded a partial track as permitted by my Droid's battery use while constantly fetching and recording GPS data... but I got a nice stretch of the first half of the ride.


and here it is...


and some stats since they can be hard to see in the embedded window...
Total Distance: 24.40 km (15.2 mi)
Total Time: 1:30:40
Moving Time: 1:30:38
Average Speed: 16.14 km/h (10.0 mi/h)
Average Moving Speed: 16.15 km/h (10.0 mi/h)
Max Speed: 25.37 km/h (15.8 mi/h)
Min Elevation: 20 m (64 ft)
Max Elevation: 133 m (438 ft)
Elevation Gain: 226 m (741 ft)
Max Grade: 9 %
Min Grade: -8 %
Recorded: Thu Feb 17 23:24:12 PST 2011
Activity type: - cycling


Now I'm extremely fatigued and desiring what I anticipate will be a very restful sleep.

2 comments:

  1. oh yeah. click on the end point for statistics of speed and elevation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is incredible Phil. Did you take any pictures?

    ReplyDelete